This post contains affiliate links. Please see my disclosure policy for more information.
This Crockpot Southwest Breakfast Casserole is sure to please a crowd! Ready in 4 hours, this breakfast dish makes an excellent brunch option or perfect for your Intermittent Fasting schedule! Can be suitable for WW, Low Carb, and Gluten Free diets.
I love breakfast, but lately I don’t even eat until about 11am. While not strictly intermittent fasting, it’s just my natural way of eating.
This Crockpot Southwest Breakfast Casserole is perfect for my lifestyle. I love crockpot recipes that do not require much effort and it’s ready in just 4 hours. Perfect for getting the kids ready for their day and ready in time for when I am finally starting to feel hungry.
Ready to get cooking? Here’s what you’ll need.
Ingredients for Crockpot Southwest Breakfast Casserole
Here are the ingredients I use in Crockpot Southwest Breakfast Casserole:
- Non-stick cooking spray (or melted butter or coconut oil)
- 16 oz. turkey sausage
- 1 20-oz. bag hash browns, shredded
- ½ t. ground cumin
- 1 medium red pepper, finely chopped
- 8 large eggs
- ½ c. water
- ¼ t. chipotle powder
- Sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 c. fat free sharp cheddar cheese, finely shredded
What else can I use in Slow Cooker Southwest Breakfast Casserole?
The fun thing about a recipe like this slow cooker breakfast casserole are the different changes you can make to it. You can substitute cheese for a full fat cheese, or leave it out all together. You can add mushrooms or spice it up with a different pepper, like jalapeño. Another option is to dial back on certain spices, like cumin or chipotle, or add garlic powder to your own taste.
For a keto or low carb breakfast casserole, remove the hashbrowns.
If you would prefer a breakfast sausage in place of turkey sausage, remove the sausage casings before adding to your recipe.
YOU MAY ALSO LIKE: Low Carb Chaffles
Crockpot Southwest Breakfast Casserole
- Crockpot/Slow Cooker
- Large Skillet
- Non-Stick Cooking Spray can also use butter or preferred oil
- 16 oz Turkey Sausage can substitute for meat of choice, see above notes
- 1/2 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 med red pepper finely chopped
- 8 lg eggs
- 1/2 c water
- 1/4 tbsp chipotle powder
- 2 cups fat free shredded cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Spray a 6-quart or larger slow cooker crock with non-stick cooking spray (or grease with melted butter or coconut oil).
- Cook sausage in a large skillet until nicely browned, approximately 8-10 minutes. Remove from heat and carefully drain excess grease from the skillet. Set aside.
- Spread hash browns in an even layer across the bottom of the slow cooker crock. Add the browned sausage and sprinkle the ground cumin and garlic powder on top.
- Add the chopped red pepper and season with salt and black pepper, to taste.
- Whisk the eggs and water together in a large bowl and pour evenly across the top of the other ingredients before topping with the shredded cheese.
- Cover and cook on low for 4 hours. Serve immediately topped with green onion, red pepper, fresh cilantro, and/or additional shredded cheese, if desired. Enjoy!