There are plenty of ways to make your workout more fun before you experience burnout on your current routine. Keep reading for my tips on keeping your workout enjoyable before you start skipping sessions out of boredom.
I hate burnout when it comes to working out.
Sometimes getting to the gym can feel more like a chore and less like something that’s fun and good for me.
I’ve personally found if I don’t shake things up and keep things exciting I’m less likely to do a workout. I need to keep things new and the energy high to get to the gym or break out my weights at home.
Here are 9 different ways you can make your workout more fun and avoid burnout!
9 Ways To Make Your Workout More Fun
Consider these tips to bring some fun into your exercise time:
Analyze Your Current Workout
You didn’t land here because you’re having a great time every day with your current routine.
If your exercise time is less than fulfilling, an analysis of your current workout will help you identify why you’re not happy.
- Does the thought of using the Stairmaster make you want to cry? Do you try to come up with excuses to avoid running? If your workout makes you sad, it’s time to reevaluate how you exercise. You’re an adult. You can say no to things you don’t like. I recently decided I hate burpees and no amount of pressure in my Instagram feed will ever make me do one again.
- Consider why you’re unhappy and search for solutions that will work with your lifestyle. Would taking a group class make you more likely to exercise? Do you simply need a different type of workout?
- Consider signing up for a class at a local gym or other venue. Spending money can add motivation to your fitness routine.
- Get outside! A change of scenery is great for staying motivated and into your workout.
Doing a workout that makes you sad will NOT motivate you to get into the gym more often. Do what makes you happy. You deserve it.
Add A Friend
Exercising alone can get boring, but a good friend can change how you think about your workout.
- Do you hate to exercise alone? Finding a friend who is also trying to get in shape can help both of you by making the workout more fun.
- A study, titled “The Influence of Partner’s Behavior on Health Behavior Change,” found that adding a partner to your workout can help. Researchers learned that it makes you five times more likely to exercise.
- You can motivate each other. Having a partner to workout with, especially one you can talk to and enjoy being around, can keep you interested in your workouts and hold you accountable.
Turn You Workouts Into A Reward
Games can make your workout more fun. This will motivate you to keep going and stay active.
I personally love DietBet for keeping me on track with my weight loss but it doesn’t end there! There’s RunBet and StepBet that can challenge your physical fitness.
To play, you’ll find a game that’s open, recently started or starting soon. You’ll place a bet that you’ll achieve your goal and you’ll win money if others don’t achieve theirs.
I love putting money into my own weight loss. Money is a great motivator for me. I don’t want to lose it, right?
I promised myself once I am done with weight loss I will turn my winnings into a new wardrobe. Shopping = motivation!
Do you have music playing in the background as you do your cardio? Music has a powerful impact on exercise.
There’s a reason you hear a song on the gym that gets you going that maybe you haven’t heard in awhile.
I like to switch up the music I listen to. Keeping things fresh as I workout is important for me to stay focused and not lose steam at the gym.
Create a couple of different playlists and circle through them. I hate when I am constantly hitting Next to find a song that I like. Go in with music you’re guaranteed not to spend your workout skipping.
Music can help pass the time quickly if you’re running or doing the elliptical. The beat can motivate you to go faster and challenge yourself too!
Add a TV Show
Okay, I’ll admit it. I don’t watch nearly as much TV as I’d like. Everyone has their favorite shows and I’m over here humming along to the newest Daniel Tiger tune.
Adding in a TV show, especially one that has you hooked, is a great way to pass the time as you workout.
Get Outside For Your Workout!
Fresh air does everyone good! Being outside can help you feel more energetic.
Exercising outdoors can make your workout more enjoyable. Find a nice park with a gorgeous trail and get going. You can do tricep dips with a park bench and walk a couple laps around the perimeter too!
I love doing a quick workout at the playground. From doing walking lunges, squats and high knees, I can get in a great workout while my son plays with his friends.
Post Motivational Notes Around Your Place
Putting notes to encourage exercise wherever you might see them during your day can help you stay in shape. Research shows that even simple things like smiley faces can have a positive impact on your workout.
Do you like funny memes? Find your favorite fitness and weight loss memes, print them out and hang them up around your home for extra motivation.
Try Something New
Do you do the same exercise routine every day? The same workout can get boring over time. Consider trying new exercises you’ve never done before. Also, think about exercise in different ways.
- Dancing can be a great way to burn calories and stay in shape. Sign up for a class for something more structured or even just turn on the radio and blast your favorite tunes. Movement is movement, people.
- Play sports! Organize teams with your family and friends or join community teams and have some fun. Check if there are any local adult leagues such as softball, soccer or volleyball to join as well.
- Sign up for a class at your local gym or Y. Check out what your area offers in terms of classes. You can take a spin class, sign up for relaxing yoga or incorporate a dance class into your routine.
- Download new apps that will help motivate you and keep you going! Ladies, I love love love the free Tone It Up app and cannot speak highly of it. Free fitness moves every single day, push notification reminders to do a workout and I genuinely feel like these women want to help me. And the best thing is every move challenges me. There’s no easy way out. Find a new fun app that keeps YOU going and keeps your enjoyable.
Your workouts can be more fun with a few simple adjustments. Make exercise a better experience with these tips and you’ll find that fitness can be fun!
You May Also Like: